Monday, March 30, 2009

Corn, Its In Everything

So as far as this weeks challenge regarding corn products, I would rank my success as somewhere between failure and absolute failure. Not only must it be extremely difficult for people making a really active effort to not eat corn products, but as a college kid who has a hard time making sure I get three meals a day at all, it was even more difficult. It made me realize that for those who do not have the luxury of being extremely selective with what they eat (i.e. the poor), they are really the victims. They have little choice as consumers in what products they eat, and so are major consumers of corn, willingly or unwillingly. I guess this exercise helped me see diet from a social-green perspective, in that there are social inequities in our dietary system as well, beyond the ecological impacts of a high corn diet, there are the nutritional implications for the poor as well. As a college student, my diet might be most similar to that of a poor person, and so like me, they struggle to eat at all, let alone having the luxury to eat products other than corn. If we all had the option and time to eat locally grown fresh food, the benefits would be enormous, in both health, and environmental implications.

No comments: