Monday, March 30, 2009

Corn challenge

The short story is I failed. The long story is that I gained some valuable perspective on how deeply entrenched corn is in our diets and how difficult it can be for allergic persons to eat normally. While I already had considerable vigilance against corn based products prior to this experiment, I still managed to fail because I assumed that products like vanilla extract "probably does not have any corn additives because corn could not possibly substitute alcohol or vanillin (the only ingredients necessary). However, I found out after consuming certain comestibles that I had used a vanilla extract that contained corn syrup. I should point out that this occurred on sunday, and after many painful avoidances had been sacrificed. FML. This experiemnt helped to further illustrate how centralized the US food system is and some of the pitfulls that arise from such an organization.

No comments: