Monday, March 30, 2009

Corn Exercise

Well, the corn exercise wasn't exactly the most successful on my behalf. I work at an organic sushi restaurant, and was there six nights for the past week so had dinner there during that time. However, a great deal of the sushi are seasoned with a miso aioli dressing that contains mayonnaise, a product that has corn derivatives. I also realized that the beer I was drinking (which I am not normally a fan of, but was the only thing around at the party I was at) also has components of corn, something I never thought of before. The biggest surprise to me about corn products wasn't even in food, but in the face makeup I wear! When looking to see if the bronzer I was wearing was hypoallergenic, I noticed that corn starch was found in the list of ingredients. Very bizarre, but true. This week, I'll definitely be sure to notice more about the corn in my diet, however I was able to make some pretty significant observations that I wouldn't have noticed had I not had such an assignment. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also had trouble with the corn diet experiment. The first few days I was very conscientious of the foods I was eating, and which of them contain corn. To my surprise, almost everything I was used to eating contained some form of corn in it! This is a strange phenomenon, and one that I believe has really "poisoned" the American diet greatly. Corn is not a good ingredient to consistently have in one's normal diet. After sticking to salads for a few days, which grew old fast, I had some pizza, which I am sure has corn in it. Saturday night I had Jack Daniels on the rocks (my favorite). However, much to my surprise whiskey contains corn! Whiskey, as well as other alcohol like gin, contain corn because of the high amounts of syrup and malt extract they contain. Who woulda thought??