Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Technology

I'm a bit on the edge when it comes to technology. I can't deny that I own quite a bit of it- I have a lap top, i-pod, cell phone, hair straightener, toaster, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, TV, DVD player, etc. All of these things I probably couldn't live without honestly. Maybe a few I could cut from my life but in order for me to go back and remove a dishwasher or microwave, I would need society to slow down to allow me to be able to wash dishes by hand and actually enjoy a good meal made by an oven. I feel society is constantly pressuring technology to speed everything up to make us live our lives faster and get more things done in a day. When it comes to technology saving us I'm even less sure. I think technology needs to be given a chance but not allowed to spread so fast so far that if the consequences turn out to be more negative than positive, then it should not be allowed. In this respect I'm thinking about medicines to cure or prevent particular diseases. I remember watching the film, "I am Legend," and a lady found a cure for cancer or something like that. This 'cure' was rapidly injected into people, and the unintended consequences turned out to be even more harmful than the cancer. I do think something like this could happen in the future if humans don't extensively test for unintended consequences. I feel a bit better about genetically modified organisms although i do think people have the right to be nervous when something is first introduced. Nerves of the population would be calmed through this extensive research on newly discovered technology. I do think the concept of "genetically modified forests" is a little weird. After all what's nature if it's not natural?

No comments: