Monday, February 9, 2009

Environmental Leader?

I am a bit conflicted as I can understand both the "small, easy adjustments" argument as well as the fundamental changes that need to be implemented argument. These arguments are something I both agree with. As my fellow blogger and classmate Mike Lally stated, the small adjustments fit with the American way of life. That is why a lot of typical Americans who are concerned about their environmental impact choose to take these small measures. With our lifestyles being as they are, rushing from work to running errands as well as attending school, unless someone works for an environmental organization, it is difficult to really take time out of our lives to mount a huge campaign to press for the big changes that need to be done. I also find it difficult to press for these changes because there is not a visible individual who is able to identify with so many Americans to win us over as a leader for these changes. Al Gore is one person who comes to my mind when I think about American environmentalism. And as Michael Maniates stated, he was one person touting the triumphs of small changes. Until we have a Martin Luther King Jr or FDR of environmentalism, Americans are going to continue their hectic, busy, consumer driven lifestyles.

No comments: